Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Update from Krysten


I made it to CHILE!
I arrived this morning on one of the first International flights into Santiago after the devastating earthquake that struck early Saturday morning. My flight consisted of many Chileans who had been out of the country when the earthquake hit. Many people were desperate to get home as they had not seen their family members since the quake and did not know how damaged their houses were. Needless to say the mood was very somber and it was obvious that I had arrived in a country that was mourning.

The Santiago airport building is closed due to major damages. When we landed, the airport staff lined up our bags outside on the ground (see pictures). Once we found them, we had to pass through immigrations, which meant standing in line with our bags while dogs came through sniffing them. Then, we went through passport control where they reviewed our passports and entered the necessary information into their laptops, which were set up on tables outside of the main airport building. Finally, we got into busses that shuttled us to Santiago because the airport roads are closed. When I got off the bus in Santiago, the EGM-Chile director, Daniel Lagos was waiting for me. It was wonderful to see him and catch up on all that had transpired post earthquake.

The EGM-Chile office has a lot of structural damage so the ministry will have to move. At the moment, the ministry is meeting out of a room in the EGM-Chile Director’s church. I met up with the team this afternoon and they were all very excited to see me! I could tell that it meant a lot to them that I decided to come to Chile after the earthquake. I am so glad that I am here!!

I am staying with a dear family outside of Vina del Mar. We have electricity but we don’t have water and it looks like we might not have running water for days. I just took a “shower”. Even though water is a premium here, they heated up some of the water they had saved up so I could take a shower. They set me up with a bucket filled with warm water and a pitcher. They also bought me bottles of flavored sparkling water that I can drink and use to brush my teeth 
Smile I am overwhelmed by their generosity and care!

As I shared in my last post, the EGM-Chile team decided not to cancel the meetings and activities that are scheduled for this week. Our itinerary is below.

Please pray that Joe, Julie and I will be an encouragement to the Chilean team as we stand beside them during this difficult time. This catastrophe has caused many people to reflect on their lives and consider what is truly important. Please join me in praying that many would come to the realization that having a relationship with the Lord is the most important thing!

Mar. 3- AM-City Tour, PM- Meeting with EGM-Chile leaders
Mar. 4- EGM-Chile Board Meeting
Mar. 5- EGM-Chile Board Retreat
Mar. 6- All day meeting with church pastors & Conference for Sunday school teachers
Mar. 7- Two Church Services: Sunday school teacher observations & Joe preaches
Mar. 8- Work with EGM-Chile team, possible Sightseeing in Santiago, Travel Home
Mar. 9- Arrive in US

No comments:

Post a Comment